24 Hour Urine Collection Instructions:
- Begin the urine collection in the morning after you wake up, after you have emptied your bladder for the first time.
- Urinate (empty the bladder) for the first time and flush it down the toilet.
- This is the exact time that the urine collection begins.
- You should collect in the container every drop of urine during the following 24 hours (day and night). It does not matter how much or little urine is passed each time, as long as every drop is collected. You need not record the time of each urination.
- Store the bottle at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- If you need to have a bowel movement, any urine passed with the bowel movement should be collected.
- Finish by collecting the first urine passed the next morning, adding it to the collection bottle. Record the exact time that the urine collection ends. Don’t worry if it is not exactly 24 hours.
Timed Overnight Urine Collection – Instructions:
- Get a clean container, such as a glass or plastic jar.
- Immediately before going to bed, urinate into toilet and record time. ____________PM
- If you awaken during the night to urinate, go into the container.
- Immediately upon awakening in the morning, urinate in the container. __________AM