About the Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergy, Immunology and Sleep Medicine
The Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergy, Immunology and Sleep Medicine Division is the largest in New York, and one of the largest such divisions in the nation.
Our main offices are at 19 Bradhurst Avenue, Hawthorne, NY, on the campus of the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center and New York Medical College. In addition, our physicians care for patients in a network of outreach offices throughout the region. All of our physicians are full-time faculty at New York Medical College and on the medical staff of the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital. We are dedicated to patient care, research and education.
Our pediatric pulmonologists, allergists and sleep specialists diagnose and care for more than 12,000 children each year with a wide variety of respiratory problems, including allergies, asthma, sleep problems and complex pulmonary disorders.
Our patients are at the heart of our practice. We strive to provide each of our patients and their families with personalized care and excellent customer service.
Conditions we treat
- aerodigestive disorders
- bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- central apnea
- congenital central hypoventilation syndrome
- cystic fibrosis
- food allergies
- interstitial lung diseases
- night terrors
- obstructive sleep apnea
- primary ciliary dyskinesia
- primary immunodeficiency disorders
- pulmonary embolism
- respiratory disease in children with neurological or neuromuscular disease
- vocal cord dysfunction
Our diverse team of experts
We have more than 20 physicians in our practice and continue to grow. Our experienced team includes dedicated nurses, social workers, respiratory therapists and dietitians.
Continuity of care
We understand the importance of receiving care from the same provider at each appointment, and strive to offer this type of individualized care for our patients. This means your child will see the same doctor in our practice for every visit whenever possible. We also work closely to coordinate care and share information with any other providers your child may see, including his or her primary care provider, to ensure your child receives the most appropriate care at all times.
We provide a full range of pediatric pulmonology, allergy, asthma, immunology and sleep medicine services. Highlights of our program include:
- Our Asthma Program is one of the largest in the state — our clinicians care for more than 12,000 pediatric patients with asthma. In addition, our Asthma Clinical Research Center is part of a nationwide network of 20 centers (and one of only five pediatric centers) supported by the American Lung Association to complete large clinical studies that will have real-world, practical significance to children and adults with asthma.
- We are the only accredited Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Center in the Hudson Valley, and our center offers both pediatric and adult CF programs. Our team includes physicians, nurses, physical and respiratory therapists, dietitians, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists and researchers.
- In 2008, we opened the Children’s Environmental Health Center of the Hudson Valley, the first such center in the area. Our center sees children who have had any suspected or known exposures to environmental toxins.
- Pediatric Pulmonary Function and Exercise Laboratory: We offer the only pulmonary function and exercise lab in the Hudson Valley that’s dedicated to children. Our lab features state-of-the-art equipment to measure lung function in children of all ages, including infants.
- Center for Airway Disorders (Aerodigestive Disorders): Our center is a collaborative effort headed up by the pulmonary division, working closely with experts in pediatric otolaryngology, gastroenterology, and swallowing disorders, dedicated to multidisciplinary care of children with these complex disorders.
- Home Mechanical Ventilation Program. Our division cares for hundreds of children and young adults who require help breathing at home: mechanical ventilation and phrenic nerve pacing. Our center has particular expertise in the care of children with Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome (CCHS), a rare genetic disorder of the autonomic nervous system.
- Childhood Interstitial Diseases Program: Over the last decade, there have been dramatic advances in the diagnosis and treatment of children with these rare disorders. Our center offers state-of-the-art care.
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia Center: Our division cares for many children and young adults with these genetic disorders, and offers the latest diagnostic modality, measurement of nasal nitric 0xide (NO).
- Center of Healthy Lung Development: This center is designed to offer multidisciplinary diagnostic and management services for infants and children with chronic lung diseases that started in the newborn period, often referred to as Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD).
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Our pulmonologists work closely with the burn center at Westchester Medical Center to offer safe hyperbaric oxygen therapy for children who need this ground-breaking therapy.
Symptoms we diagnose and treat
Some common symptoms parents call us about:
- allergy symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, watery or itchy eyes)
- chronic cough
- concerns about the impact of the environment on their children’s health
- cough tics (habit cough)
- shortness of breath or chest tightness with exercise
- sleep problems
- wheezing and noisy breathing in babies
If your child has any of these symptoms, or any other symptoms you’re concerned about, give us a call. Our office staff can help determine which type of specialist is most appropriate for your child to see.
Our innovation and research
Our division is very active in clinical research, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis. If you’d like to learn more about our clinical trials, please call Meighan Gallagher, our division research manager at 914-594-2352.
World-class care, close to home
Whether it’s care for seasonal allergies or a complex pulmonary disorder, our pediatric specialists at are dedicated to providing an exceptional level of care for each and every patient — all in one practice.
In addition to our main office in Hawthorne, NY, our physicians see patients at 11 locations throughout the Hudson Valley and Connecticut. Our convenient locations and free parking allows our patients hassle-free access to world-class treatment that’s close to home.
The Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergy, Immunology and Sleep Medicine Division is part of Boston Children’s Health Physicians (BCHP), formerly Children’s & Women’s Physicians of Westchester (CWPW). BCHP is a member of the Boston Children’s Hospital integrated network of care locations and partnerships, ranked the #1 pediatric hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Our second opinions bring peace of mind
Getting a second opinion from one of our clinicians will give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing your child’s health is in expert hands. Simply call 844-463-2247 to make an appointment with one of our specialists.