The pediatricians throughout BCHP provide routine preventive care and urgent care services for children and adolescents of all ages, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. A pediatrician is a doctor who manages the health of your child, including physical, behavioral, and mental health issues. He or she is trained to diagnose and treat childhood illnesses – from minor health problems to serious diseases. Pediatricians have an education that gives them special skills to take care of your child’s health. They graduated from medical school and completed at least a three-year residency program in pediatrics.
Your pediatrician will see your child many times from birth to age 2 and once a year from ages 2 to 5 for “well-child visits.” After age 5, your pediatrician will likely continue to see your child every year for annual checkups. He or she is also the first person to call whenever your child is sick.
To take care of your child, your pediatrician will:
- perform physical exams
- give your child vaccinations
- make sure he/she meets milestones in growth, behavior, and skills
- diagnose and treat your child’s illnesses, infections, injuries, and other health problems
- give you information about your child’s health, safety, nutrition, and fitness needs
- answer your questions about your little one’s growth and development
- refer you to specialists if he or she thinks your child needs expert care
BCHP has outstanding pediatricians throughout the Hudson Valley region of New York as well as in New Jersey and Connecticut. We encourage you to browse through the various offices and providers on this page to find one who’s right for you and your child
Boston Children’s Health Physicians (BCHP) is a member of the Boston Children’s Hospital integrated network of care locations and partnerships. Boston Children’s Hospital is ranked the #1 pediatric hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.